1. Before traveling overseas, it’s important to call Charter Oak’s Contact Center during regular business hours at 860.446.8085 or toll-free at 800.962.3237 to ensure that you can use your Credit or Debit cards in a particular country or region. Otherwise, your cards could be blocked because of suspected fraud when the transactions are actually legitimate. It’s important to let us know your destination as well as the duration of your trip.
2. Consider packing a maximum of two Credit Cards, so you can use one card for your purchases and leave the other in the hotel safe as an emergency card. If your first card is lost or stolen you will still be able to enjoy your trip with your back-up card. By limiting the number of cards you bring with you to a maximum of two, you will only have two cards you would need to call and cancel should your wallet be lost or stolen. And carrying a limited number of cards will also help to preserve your budget by keeping you focused on your spending.
3. Bring your cards’ contact information with you and keep it in your luggage in the hotel room. If your cards are lost or stolen, you’ll be able to contact Charter Oak during regular business hours, or if after-hours call the number that you’ll find on the back of your Credit or Debit card so the card can be canceled to prevent fraudulent transactions. (Please make sure you note the cards’ contact numbers before you travel.)
4. Stick with ATMs that are attached to banks, in your hotel or at the airport, which can minimize the risk of your card information being captured and used fraudulently.
5. Never leave your valuables in a rental car. If you are going to be sightseeing, lock all of your valuables in the hotel safe with your emergency card.
6. Do not leave your bags unattended. If you need to put your bag down for a minute, place it on the counter in front of you, or between your feet with the bag securely closed. It only takes a second for your attention to be diverted and your bags taken right from under you.
7. Upon returning from your trip, review your Credit Card bill and all of your purchases, as well as your statements for Debit Card transactions. If you have access to your Credit Card or Debit Card accounts online, review the history as soon as you are home. By not waiting for your monthly statements, you can alert Charter Oak as soon as you see fraudulent transactions.